Yield: serves about 4-6
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 6 ounces fresh spinach
- 8 ounces fontina cheese, freshly grated
- 8 large eggs
- 2-3 table spoons heavy cream or half and half
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced or pressed
- 1/3 cup seasoned panko bread crumbs
- chopped fresh herbs for topping
- 1 loaf of ciabatta, toasted and buttered
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray.
Layer fresh spinach evenly in the baking dish. Add about 1/2 of the grated cheese, then randomly place the eggs over top. Cover the eggs with the salt and pepper, then drizzle the heavy cream over top and sprinkle on the remaining cheese. Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, checking the eggs in the last few minutes to see how done they are. If you want the yolks completely cooked through, you may need an additional 5-10 minutes.
While the eggs are baking, add butter to a small saucepan over medium heat and whisk constantly while it bubbles. The minute brown bits begin to form on the bottom of the pan, remove from heat and whisk for an additional 30 seconds. (for more step by step photos of browning butter, click here.) Let butter stand for 2 minutes, then add in minced garlic and whisk. Add in panko and stir well to coat and combine.
Once eggs are finished, remove from the oven and cover with breadcrumbs and fresh herbs. Serve immediately with toast and butter!]]>