- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium celery ribs, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 cups dried brown lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled and cut in 1/2-inch dice
- 1 package (9 ounces) frozen cut green beans
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes in juice
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Coarse salt and black pepper
- Plain low-fat yogurt, for serving
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion, carrots, celery, and bay leaf. Cook, stirring, until vegetables are softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Add garlic and curry powder and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute more.
- Add 7 cups of water and lentils. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook 10 minutes. Add potatoes and continue to cook, covered, until lentils and potato are just tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add green beans and tomatoes with juice. Cook until warmed through, 2 to 4 minutes. Remove bay leaf. Add cilantro; season with salt and pepper. Serve with yogurt.